An International driving permit is acceptable and can be used for one year for driving in Rwanda. After that term, a foreigner should apply for a Rwandan driver license.
The main Rwandan road traffic rules:
- Traffic moves on the right side of the road.
- The minimum driving age is 18 years in categories A and B and 20 years in categories C, D, E, and F.
- Drunk drivers are fined and jailed for 24 hours. The legal blood alcohol level is 0.08%. The random breath testing by police is legal.
- Helmet use is compulsory for motorcyclists.
- To wear seat belts is required for all car occupants.
- Vehicles already in a traffic circle have the right-of-way.
- Third-party insurance is required.
- The speed limit in towns is 40 km/h (25 mph) and in provinces is 60 km/h (37 mph).
- Using cell phones while driving is prohibited, unless phones are equipped with a hands free kit.
- The police phone number is 112.
Driving Overseas - Short Information
- During the rainy season, many side roads are passable only with four-wheel drive vehicles.
- Police may stop any vehicle and search the car and luggage.
- Causing a fatal accident could result in three to six months imprisonment.
- While driving, it is required to have a driver license (International driving permit), vehicle registration documents, and car insurance certificates.
- To report traffic accidents, drivers should cold 113.