In many countries of the world foreign visitors can drive using their International driving permit and National driver licenses. As a rule, foreigners may drive with their International driving permit for the term that is tree months (France, Japan, Thailand, etc.), six months (Poland, Russia, Spain, Egypt, and so on), or one year (India, Israel, Norway, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Switzerland, and other). *
If a temporary visitor is going to stay in the foreign county longer then term allows using his International driving permit fixed by the local traffic law, he must obtain a local driver license from county through which he is going to travel or in which he is going to live temporary.
Some countries, for example, China, don’t allow foreigners to drive with their National driver licenses and International driving permits and demand from temporary visitors to obtain their local driver licenses. However, foreigners with National driver licenses and their International driving permit, who come to China for a short term (within 3 months), can apply for a temporary Chinese driver license at major cities: Beijing, Shanghai, and Guangzhou. Before foreign tourist can drive in China, they need to attend classes to learn Chinese road traffic rules. The temporary Chinese driving license should be used together with the National driving permit; it gives visitors rights to drive small or automatic-gear cars.
Laws of some countries provide conversion foreign driving permits to their National driver licenses. Thus, driver licenses from countries: Australia, Brunei, China, Denmark, Egypt, Belgium, Fiji, Filipina, Finland, France, German, Hong Kong, Iran, Iraq, Italy, Japan, Libya, Laos, New Zealand, Netherlands, Nigeria, Korea, Mauritius, Myanmar, Papua New Guinea, Poland, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Switzerland, Thailand, and Turkey can be automatic converted to Malaysian driver licenses. In Hong Kong, if a foreign visitor holds a driver license from country which the Hong Kong Transport Department recognizes, he/she doesn’t need to pass a driving test for getting the Hong Kong driving license. If an applicant has held a valid foreign driver license at least two years before entering Israel, he/she may be exempted from the vehicle control capability test. To make easier obtaining the Japanese driver license for holders of a valid foreign driver licenses and International driving permits, Japan has concluded agreements with following countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom. If you are from one of these countries, hold a valid National driver license and International driving permit and have evidence that after receiving your original driver license, you were in your domestic country no less than three months, you don’t need to pass a written or practical exam for getting a Japanese driver license. Visitors who hold full driving permits issued by countries that Brazil has signed and ratified agreements or international conventions may obtain a full Brazilian license without taking the complete test.
As many countries in the world as many different traffic laws are about term of using the International driving permits. If you are going to travel and drive overseas, first of all, check with the embassy of countries you plan to visit and learn about requirements for a driver license there.

*You have to ask local police about this terms, sometimes different province can have a different rules.

 Information for US residents and citizens