In accordance with the spirit of road traffic convention, an International driving permit is valid in Afghanistan. Foreign visitors can drive motor vehicles in the territory of Democratic Republic of Afghanistan if they have valid original driver licenses and International driver permits which issued and organized in accordance to Vienne road traffic convention, held in 1968.
The main Afghan road traffic rules:
- Driving is on the right side of the road.
- The minimum age for driving is 18 years.
- A vehicle that moves on the public road must get permission from the registration office of the traffic administration.
- Motor vehicles are required to have number plates during movement on public roads.
- It is not permitted to drive or submit to others, a vehicle without particular equipments.
- The alcohol consumption while driving is prohibited by law; the legal blood alcohol level is 0.0%.
- The maximum speed limit in urban areas is 50 km/h.
- The vehicle dimension must not be exceeded:
- width –2.5 meters;
- height – 4 meters;
- length – 24 meters;
- total weight - 38 tons.
- While driving, drivers must have valid driver licenses.
- It is not permitted to drive in narcotics, drunken, sickness, fatigue, and sleepy conditions.
- Nobody has the right to drive a vehicle which does not belong to him/her; to drive, anyone must have permission from the owner of the vehicle.
- Owners of motor vehicles including foreign persons are obligatory to insure their vehicles.
- The owner or driver is not permitted to drive a vehicle without registration and permit and legal number plate.
- No person is allowed to close public roads by stopping.
Driving Overseas - Short Information
- In case of an accident causing death or injury, drivers should stop without change a scene of an accident and condition of vehicle and wait for the traffic police. If an accident causes just financial losses, drivers can take the vehicles out of traffic stream and place it in the right end of the road.
- Traffic police can stop vehicles with technical problems and can keep them away from public roads.
- Vehicular traffic is chaotic; there are numerous pedestrians, bicyclists, and animals on the roads.
- The traffic police have right to inspect and control the technical condition of vehicles in accordance of the traffic security.
- The traffic police may stop traffic participants if they violate the road traffic rules; to check the traffic documents, registration, technical equipments and vehicle taxes which are required; if a traffic accident occurred.
- It is not permitted to muck the surface of public road by pouring oils and petroleum oil.
- To rent a car, a driver must be at least 21 years of age. Additional fees may apply for drivers younger than 25 years.
- The police phone number is 119.