Anguilla is not such as a big island, it is only 16 miles long and 3 miles wide. Only, one main road runs through the island connecting Anguilla from end-to-end. Small roads connect the villages, bays, coves, and other points of interest. Renting a car is a best way to travel through this island and to see the wonderful sites of Anguilla.
To hire a car, foreign visitors need to purchase a temporary Anguilla driving permit. The temporary Anguilla driving permit is available through most car rental companies. Most hotels help tourist with car renting. To purchase a temporary Anguilla driving permit, foreigners must have valid driver licenses from their countries of residence. Temporary driving permits allow foreign visitors to drive locally for 6 months.
Some helpful information:
Driving Overseas - Short Information
- Driving is on the left side of the road.
- The minimum driving age is 18.
- The speed limit on the roads is 30 mph, in school zones and in villages 20 mph.
- There are many speed bumps on the road especially near villages.
- There are no sidewalks in Anguilla, so pedestrians walk on the edge the road.
- Children under 4 years of age must be transported in a child restraint system.
- Anguilla has four traffic circles which help keep traffic moving smoothly during rush hour.
- Drivers should be careful driving at night since there are only few street lights and many pedestrians and cyclists on the roads.
- Depending on the company, the minimum age to rent a car ranges from 23 to 25. Drivers may also have to have held a valid driver licenses for at least 2 years.