Travelling by car in Belize, tourists can go places not easily visited by bus. A visitor, who is going to drive his own vehicle to Belize, will be required to purchase insurance in Belize for the duration of his visit. Insurance may be bought from the Insurance Corporation of Belize located near customs. An insurance sticker must be put in the upper right-hand corner of the windshield. For a car importation, driver must have original documents as well as photocopies of everything.
For driving in Belize, foreign visitors need International driving permit
s . The US driver license is a valid driver license in Belize. The US driver license and an International driving permit is accepted in Belize only for three months after visitor entry.
The main road traffic rules:
- Traffic moves on the right side of the road.
- The minimum driving age is 18 years.
- Speed limits are 55 mph (89 km/h) on highways and 25-40 mph on most other roads.
- For drivers and front-seat passengers, seatbelts are mandatory.
- It is permitted to make a cautious right turn on a red traffic light.
- The legal blood alcohol level is 0.08%.
Driving Overseas - Short Information
- Roads in Belize vary from two-lane paved roads to dirt or gravel tracks. There are three main highways: the Northern Highway runs from Belize City to Corozal and the Mexican border; the Western Highway runs from Belize City to Benque Viejo del Carmen and the Guatemalan Border; the Hummingbird Highway runs from Belmopan to Dangriga.
- Distances are given in miles, speeds in miles per hour. However, some Japanese-made rental cars have distance shown in kilometers and speed in kilometers per hour.
- In Belize, road signs are in English.
- Speed-breaker bumps are used in residential areas; in many cases, it is no advance warning about the bumps.
- Drivers should carefully pass stopped buses since kids may suddenly run around the bus to cross the road.
- At night, foxes and snakes are on the roads, but only few people.
- After a period of heavy rains, some roads become quagmires.
- Official hurricane season in Belize is from May to November.
- Bicycles are numerous on the roads.