In Botswana, drivers must carry their driving permits licenses at all times while driving. Driving permits from neighboring countries and International driving permit
s are accepted in Botswana.
When crossing the border, vehicles are required to pass through a pit with the disinfectant solution to prevent carrying over foot-and-mouth disease into Botswana.
Residents of Botswana are not allowed to use foreign registered vehicles in Botswana for more than fourteen days after importation. Foreign visitors coming from a country outside the Southern African Common Customs Area are normally required to produce carnets or bill of entry in respect of their cars.
The best way to travel throughout Botswana is to hire a vehicle because in this case, you can avoid public transport; but in Botswana, it is the high rental car cost.
Botswana has roads range from tarmac to either gravel or sand tracks. For driving for most roads in Botswana, it is recommended to use 4WD vehicles.
It is important to keep in mind the general Botswanan road traffic rules:
- Traffic flows on the left side on the road.
- The minimum driving age is 18 years.
- To rent a car, a driver must be at least 18 years old and have held his driving permit for 1 year. Drivers under 22 years of age may incur a young driver surcharge.
- This is mandatory to use seat belts at all times while driving.
- Speed limit is 120 km/h (75 mph) outside built-up areas; 100 km/h on approach to towns and villages; 60 km/h (37mph) in towns and villages, 30km/h in built-up areas.
- Babies and children must be riding in appropriate child restraints.
- Using cell phones while driving is prohibited; the exception is cell phones with hands-free systems.
- The International driving permit can be used for driving by foreign drivers for six months after arriving.
- The emergency phone number is 999.
Some additional advices:
Botswana Road Traffic Signs
Driving Overseas - Short Information
- Foreign drives should be careful while driving since wildlife and stray livestock which are big enough to destroy a vehicle; it is best to avoid driving at night.
- Foreign visitors should care their identification documents with their at all times and their original and International driving permits while driving as the car registration documents and insurance.
- To rent a car, foreign visitors must have their valid International driving permits and home driver licenses. Their identification details must be written in English.
- Drivers should always carry a cell telephone while driving for emergency purposes.
- While driving, especially on longer journeys, always carry reserve fuel, water, and some emergency supplies.
- Drivers should obey the speed limit at all times.
- Drivers should keep their minds on the driving and watch out for pedestrians, cyclists, and animals along the road.
- Any driver must be sure that indicators and reflectors of his car are working and are clean and clear; seats, seat belts, head restraints and mirrors are adjusted correctly before driving.
- In Botswana, there are toll along the main highways; it is recommended to have some change while driving.
- It is permitted to park cars along the roadside in most places.
- The best time to visit Botswana is during winter from May to August.
- During the wet season the road condition can deteriorate quickly.