Foreign visitors who wish to drive in the British Virgin Islands must obtain a temporary British Virgin Islands (BVI) driver license which is valid for three months. A temporary BVI driver license can be obtained from the Traffic Licensing Office or car rental agencies. To obtain the territory BVI driver license, a foreign driver needs produce his valid driver licenses from country of his residence. If an applicant cannot produce a valid driver license, he must take the driving and writing tests.
The main road traffic rules:
Driving Overseas - Short Information
- Driving is on the left-hand side of the road.
- the minimum driving age is 18 years.
- Seatbelts are required while driving for all car occupants.
- Children must be transported in special child seats.
- Motorcyclists must wear protective helmets.
- To use cell phones while driving is prohibited.
- The speed limit in towns is 20 mph (32 km/h), outside towns 50 mph (80 km/h)
- The permitted blood alcohol level is 0.08%.
- The minimum age to rent a car is 25 years.
- The police phone number is 999.