Presence of the valid International driving permit is the main driving license requirement from a foreign visitor in Burundi. Visitors who have a full United Kingdom driver license may drive in Burundi for the first six months after arrival. After that term they are required to obtain a Burundi driving permit.
Registration papers and Third-party insurance cover are documentation for entry of foreign registered vehicle to Burundi.
The main road traffic rules:
- In Burundi, traffic drives on the right side of the road.
- The legal blood alcohol level is 0.1%.
- The Third-party insurance is required.
- In Burundi some people drive without driver licenses; moreover, the Burundian driver licenses can be acquired without training. So, most Burundian drivers are not careful, predictable, or mindful of driving rules.
- In Bujumbura, there are no functioning traffic signals. Roadways are not marked.
- In the rainy season, driving in many side roads is passable only with four-wheel drive vehicles.
- If a driver is found to have caused an accident, he will be automatically fined and his driving permit will be confiscated until the police investigation is completed.
- In Bujumbura, the police phone number is 22-22-37-77; it is no comparable outside the capital.
- From February to May, heavy rains may cut roads and damage infrastructure.
- A valid Yellow Fever Vaccination Certificate is required for entry into Burundi.
Driving Overseas - Short Information