Foreign visitors can drive in Cape Verde with their valid driver licenses issued by their countries of origin during a period of six months. It is useful to obtain the International driving permit
The Portuguese driving license is valid in Cape Verde through the authentication via Portuguese aviation services or the Portuguese Embassy in Cape Verde.
The main road traffic rules:
- Traffic moves on the right side of the road.
- The minimum driving age is 18 years.
- At roundabouts, cars inside the circle have the right-of-way.
- At intersections, the vehicle on the right has the right-of-way.
- Seat belts must be worn by a driver and a front seat passenger.
- Children under 12 must sit in the back seat.
- Motorcyclists must wear crash helmets.
- Motorcyclists must use headlights at all times while riding.
- The third-party insurance is required.
- The speed limit is 80 km/h on the highways and 50 km/h in urban areas.
- It is permitted to park vehicles in the direction of the traffic.
Driving Overseas - Short Information
- During the rainy season, cobblestone roads are especially slippery and mud; rockslides are common on roads that cut through mountains.
- Drivers must lookout for pedestrians, especially children.
- The insurance disk must be displayed on the car windscreen.
- It is suggested to hire a 4x4 vehicle as many roads in Cape Verde are cobbled, dirt, or under repair.
- Drivers must carry all their documentation including insurance and passport.
- Drivers should pay the fine only at the central police station.