Foreign visitors can drive in Republic of Chad for the period up three months if they have both valid International driving permits and domestic driver licenses. If a foreign driver is going to stay in country longer than three months, he should convert his driving permit to local driver license.
The main road traffic rules:
- Traffic moves on the right side of the road.
- Motorcyclists must wear helmets.
- Drivers must yield to traffic on their right.
- The maximum speed limit is urban areas is 50 km/h.
- The permitted blood alcohol level is 0.08%.
- Drivers and all passengers must wear seat-belts.
- Using cell phones and text messaging while driving are not permitted.
Driving Overseas - Short Information
- The rainy season is from the middle of June to the middle of September. During the rainy season, many roads become impassable.
- In the drier season, clouds of dust rising from the roads reduce visibility.
- At night, streets are not lit.
- Rush hours are from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday - Thursday; from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and from 11:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Friday.
- When traveling by car, drivers should carry a spare tire and sufficient quantities of drinking water.
- Police checkpoints are common; any driver may be asked to show his passport, driver license, or vehicle registration documents.
- It is permitted to do random breath test by traffic police.