Driving is the best way to see the Corsica Island especially along the coast. Most rental car companies require drivers are 21 years or older and have held full driving permits for more than a year. Foreign visitors from non-European Union countries should have International driving permits.
The general road traffic rules:
- Traffic travels on the right-hand side.
- It is illegal to use a mobile phone whilst driving.
- Seatbelts are mandatory for drivers and passengers in front and back seats.
- The minimum driving age is 18 years.
- Children under 10 years must not travel in the front seat.
- The permitted blood alcohol limit is 0.05%.
- It is obligatory for drivers to carry a breathalyser certified by the French authorities.
- It is a rule to give way to the right.
- Traffic on the roundabout has priority.
- It is not permitted to use car horns in built-up areas.
- Crossing a solid white line is not permitted.
- It is not permitted to overtake a tram when its passengers are alighting or boarding.
- A warning triangle and reflective jacket are required inside each vehicle.
- Using mobile phones while driving is not permitted.
- It is not permitted to use the GPS based navigation system indicates the location of fixed speed cameras.
- The third party insurance is mandatory.
Drivers should always carry their documentation when driving including a driver licence, International driving permit, passport, papers from the rental car company, and car insurance documents.
Corsican Road Traffic Signs
Driving Overseas - Short Information