Driving is the best way to see Croatia. When driving across the border, drivers need to purchase insurance or make sure that their insurance covers Croatia. Old style European Union driver licenses and driver licenses issued by non-European Union countries must be accompanied by International driving permits. Foreign visitors must carry their passports on them at all times as a form of identification.
The main road traffic rules:
- Traffic flaws on the right side of the road.
- the minimum driving age is 18 years.
- Dipped headlights must be turn on for all 24 hours a day.
- There is a zero-tolerance policy on drink-driving.
- It is not permitted to turn right on the red light.
- Permitted blood alcohol level is 0.05%.
- Seatbelts are compulsory for drivers and all passengers.
- It not permitted to use cell phone while driving without hands free system.
- Speed limits are: in built up areas – 50 km/h, outside built up areas – 90 km/h, on motor roads – 110 km/h, on highways – 130 km/h. On highways, the minimum speed limit is 60 km/h.
- The maximum legal blood alcohol level is 0.05%. For drivers under 24 years, legal blood alcohol level is 0.00%.
- Children under 2 years may be redden in the front seat only in special seats back to the movement. The safety bag must be disconnected.
- Children from 2 to 5 years may only be ridden on a back seat in special children's holding systems. Children from 5 to 12 years may not be ridden at front seats.
- Snow tires are not permitted.
- It is required to have: a warning triangle, reflecting waistcoat, automobile first-aid kit, set of spare lamps, and snow chains from November to April.
- Toning the front and side glasses is forbidden.
- Use a radar detectors is forbidden.
- Public transport and school buses always have right of way.
- Vehicles entering a roundabout have right of way.
Croatian Road Traffic Signs
Driving Overseas - Short Information
- In Croatia, the payment for use of highways is provided. The size of payment depends on the vehicle type. Vehicles are classified proceeding from their height and quantity of axels. At entrance on the highway, drivers receive the coupon in which the entrance place is noted. At exit from the highway, drivers return the coupon to the operator (at manual payment) and on the basis of the distance drivers make the payment. Using highways can be paid in cash, credit cards, and electronic system of payment. It is possible to calculate the amount of payment on the website of the Croatian highways.
- In Croatia, there are roads with a special payment: Krk bridge, Uchka tunnel, and Viaduct Mirna bridge. Krk Bridge connects the Krk island to the continent. The point of payment is on the continent. Payment is raised only in the direction from the continent to the island. Uchka tunnel is on the Istrian Peninsula. Viaduct Mirna is the bridge through the Mirna river on the Istrian peninsula.
- In Zagreb, parking places are divided into three zones — red, yellow, and green. The red zone is located very close to the downtown, and yellow and green zones are on some removal from it. The maximum time of parking in a red zone is 1 hour, in yellow - 2 hours, and in green - 3 hours. Drivers must bay coupons from machine and put them on the dashboard under a windshield.
- Penalties should be paid within eight days in the post office or bank.
- The police phone number is 192.