In El Salvador, most of the main roads are in good condition; the Panamerican Road crosses the country.
For driving in El Salvador, foreign visitors must have valid driver licenses issued their countries of residence and International driving permits. American and United Kingdom visitors to El Salvador may drive on their U.S. and U.K. driver licenses correspondingly for up to thirty days. After that time, they are required to obtain Salvadoran driver licenses.
The main road traffic rules:
- Driving is on the right and overtaking is on the left.
- The minimum driving age is 18 years.
- The maximum driving age is 75 years.
- Speed limits are shown on kilometers per hour.
- The maximum speed limit is 90 km/h on freeways and 50 km/h in cities and on curves on freeways.
- The permitted blood alcohol level is 0.05%.
- Drivers of motorcycles and their passengers must wear safety helmet.
- Two wheeled motorcycles may only be driven with one person on the back.
- Drivers are prohibited from carrying objects that prevent the driver from having both hands placed on the steering wheel.
- The driver and front seat passenger are hereby obliged to use seat belts.
Driving Overseas - Short Information
- To rent a car, a driver must be 21 years old and have held a driver license for at least one year.
- At all time while driving, drivers should carry their valid driver licences, car registration documents and insurance documents.
- There are no toll roads in El Salvador.