The Faroe Islands are in the centre of the North Atlantic Gulf Stream. They are a magical place to spend vacation at. In general, foreign visitors may drive with their national driver licenses, but in some cases, an International driver’s license may be needed.
The general road traffic rules:
- Traffic moves on the right hand side of the road.
- The speed limit on highways is 80 km/h (50 mph), in towns and villages – 50 km/h (30 mph). For cars with trailers, speed limit is 50-60 km/h.
- Headlights should be on at all time while driving.
- Seatbelts are mandatory.
- A child safety seat is required for children under 4 years old.
- Children under 12 years must occupy the rear seats.
- A driver driving down the hill must pull into a turnout and give a way to the car going up the hill.
- The permitted blood alcohol level is 0.05%.
- Drivers always should pay attention to heights and widths in the old tunnels.
- Modern tunnels have two lanes, but old ones have only one lane. There are approximately turnouts in the old tunnels in each 100 meters. Turnouts are on right hand side, and a driver who are on the right duty to give way to oncoming traffic. Ifn the case of meeting a truck in one-lane-tunnels,a car’s have to drive into the turnout whether it is on your right or left.
Driving Overseas - Short Information