Renting a car is probably the best way of getting around French Guiana, especially outside the urban centers which can only be reached by vehicles. For driving, foreigners must have valid driver licenses issued by countries of their residence. An International driving permit is recommended.
- Traffic drives on the left-hand side.
- The minimum driving age is 18 years.
- Seatbelts are required for a driver and all passengers.
- If a driver wants to use using a mobile phone while driving, he/she must use a hands-free device.
- The permitted blood alcohol level is 0.05%.
- Drivers of and passengers on motorcycles must wear helmets.
- The Police phone number is 112.
In French Guiana, there are many rivers in this country and transport moves along them.
For traveling to remote areas, a four-wheel drive vehicle is required. Rental cars are available at the airport and Cayenne, Kourou, and St Laurent from local and international companies.
Driving Overseas - Short Information