To drive in Guatemala, foreign visitors must have a full driver license valid in their countries of residence. Foreign driver licenses are accepted for the first 30 days. It is recommended to have an International driving permit as International driving permits are accepted for longer stays.
To rent a car in Guatemala, each driver must be at least 25 years old and have one year of the driving experience.
The main road traffic rules:
- Driving is on the right hand side of the road.
- The minimum driving age is 18 years.
- Seat belts when driving are mandatory.
- The use of a mobile phone while driving is prohibited, the exception is cell phones with a hands-free systems.
- Turning right on red is not permitted.
- Drivers must yield when entering a traffic circle.
- The permitted blood alcohol level is 0.08%.
The additional information:
Driving Overseas - Short Information
- The rainy season is from April to October.
- Drivers must carry at all times while driving their passports, valid driver licenses, car registration and/or rental documents, and insurance documents. Personal documents and car registration papers may not be retained by a police officer for any reason.
- The Pan American Highway runs through Guatemala. From Palin to Antigua, there is a toll to pay.
- There are many speed bumps on the roads which sometimes are not marked.
- Road signs and signals are random.
- Most city streets are lit, but secondary and rural roads have little to no illumination.
- Driving at night outside of cities should be avoided.
- Drivers found driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs are arrested and may be jailed. The law allows police officers to perform alcohol tests on drivers.
- In a case of an accident, drivers must not move their vehicles and wait until a police officer or/and an insurance company representative arrives. If a result of an accident results is an injury or death, all drivers involved will be taken into custody until responsibility for the accident is determined.
- Foreign drivers should be very careful as local drivers often ignore road traffic rules.
- Drivers should never stop for hitchhikers.
- The police phone numbers are 110 and 120.