Foreign visitors wishing to drive in Kazakhstan should have an International driver licenses. Driving in Kazakhstan with the International driver license is permitted for up six months.
Road traffic laws:
- Driving is on the right-hand side of the road and overtaking on the left side.
- the minimum driving age is 18 years.
- In Kazakhstan, there is a zero-tolerance policy for driving under the influence of alcohol.
- The speed limit in residential areas is 20 km/h; in urban areas – 60 km/h; outside the urban areas – 90 km/h; on highways – 110 km/h.
- While driving, using a cell is not permitted.
- Safety belts are mandatory for drivers and passengers in front seats. It is permitted to not use seat belts for children under 12 years of age.
- It is not permitted to use special lights and vehicle horns.
- For any foreign vehicle, it is required to have a registration plate and distinctive mark of the state where the vehicle is registered.
- It is required to have the contract of obligatory insurance of responsibility of owners of vehicles.
- It is not permitted to throw out on the carriageway garbage and subjects creating danger to traffic.
- Foreign drivers must have an International driving permits and car registered papers at all time while driving.
- It is permitted to stop and park vehicles on the right roadside. In residential areas, it is permitted to stop and park on the left side of the road which has one-lane for each direction without tram ways in the middle and on roads with one-way traffic.
- Parking is not permitted: in places where stopping is forbidden; on platforms, bridges, overpasses; on the carriageway of the roads out of the residential areas; closer than 50 m from railway crossings.
- Pedestrians have right of way at any uncontrolled pedestrian crossing.
- At stations, drivers must give way pedestrians who are going to public transport (buses, trams, trolleybuses) or out of them.
- U-turn is not permitted: at crosswalks; at tunnels; on bridges and under them; at railway crossings; at bus stationas.
Some additional information:
Kazakhstan Road Traffic Signs
Driving Overseas - Short Information
- Traffic police has a right to stop any vehicle and ask to show a driver permit or car registration papers.
- It is recommended to park vehicles only at guarded parking lots.
- In Kazakhstan, some areas are closed or secured; passing through those areas require permission from authorities.
- It is recommended to have vehicles in good condition to avoid road accidents.
- In the evenings, street lights may be turned off on roads.
- Drivers should be very careful since animals can travel the roads and may not be seen.
- During winter, roads can be slippery due to snow and ice.
- The police phone number is 112.