For driving in Laos, foreign visitors need to have an International driving permit and valid original driver license.
The main road traffic rules:
- Traffic moves on the right.
- Cyclists must be at least 12 years of age.
- Motorcyclists must be at least 15 years of age.
- Drivers of four-wheeled vehicles must be from 18 years of age; public transport vehicles – at least 25 years of age.
- No more than two persons are allowed to ride on a bicycle.
- One adult person and one child under 11 years are permitted to sit at the back of a motorcycle.
- While ridden, people on motorcycles must wear helmets.
- It is forbidden for drivers to use telephones or watch television while driving.
- The permitted blood-alcohol level is 0.05%.
Driving Overseas - Short Information
- Police officers have the right to inspect vehicle documents and driver licenses of any driver.
- In the case of an accident causing injury to a person, the injured person must be sent to a hospital and report the accident to the traffic police. Foreigner drivers who were involved in traffic accidents are barred from leaving Laos before paying compensation.
- Traffic in Laos is chaotic so foreign drivers should be very careful while driving.