Residents of any European Union state can drive in Latvia with their domestic driving permits. Foreign visitors from non-European Union countries who planning to drive motor vehicles in Latvia are required to have an International Driving Permit. Any visitor who plan to resident in Latvia for more than six months are required to apply for a Latvian driving permit.
Latvian Road traffic rules:
- Traffic moves on the right side of the road.
- The minimum driving age is 18 years. To rent a car, the driving age should be at least 21 years and have held driving permit for one year. Drivers under 25 may be obligatory to pay young driver surcharges.
- Speed limits are: in built up areas – 50 km/hr (31 mph); on open roads – 90 km/hr (56 mph); on the highways – 110 km/h (68 mph). Drivers who have held their driving permits for less than two years are not permitted to exceed 80 km/h.
- Using mobile phones while driving is prohibited; it is permitted to use cell phones with a hands-free system.
- During the daylight hours, dipped headlights must be used.
- While driving, drivers must carry at all times a valid driving permit, car registration and insurance documents.
- It is mandatory to have in a car a warning triangle, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, and spare lights bulbs.
- Seat belts are compulsory for drivers and all passengers in front and rear seats.
- In the front seat, children under 12 years or smaller than 1.5 meters must use an appropriate restraint.
- The legal blood alcohol limit is 0.05% for drivers who have been driving for at least two years. For drivers who have driven for less than two years, the blood alcohol limit is 0.02 %.
- Some areas have "Pay and Display" parking; for parking there, it is required to display a disc or ticket from a meter.
- Winter tires are required between 1 December and 1 March.
- It is not permitted to use radar detectors.
- The police phone number is 112.
There are no toll roads in Latvia.
If police stop a car, a driver should not leave the vehicle unless policeman asked to do so.
In a case of an accident, it is not permitted to move the vehicle until given permission by the police.
Latvian Road Marking
Latvian Road Traffic Signs
Driving Overseas - Short Information