Foreign visitors from any European Union countries may use their domestic driving permits. Drivers from non-European Union countries must have International driver licenses confirmed their original driving permits. Foreign visitors may drive in Luxembourg with their International driver licenses for six months.
The general road traffic laws:
- Traffic moves on the right side; overtaking on the left.
- The minimum age for driving is 18 years.
- For renting a car, driver must be at least 23 years of age and have held your license for at least a year.
- A driver and all passengers must wear seat belts.
- The legal alcohol-blood level is 0.05%.
- Speed limits are: on motorway – 130km/h (80 mph), 110 km/h (68 mph) in wet weather and 70 km/h (43 mph) - for vehicles with spiked tires; on open roads – 90 km/h (55 mph); in towns – 50 km/h (31 mph); in residential zones – 30 km/h; at pedestrian zones – 20 km/h. For foreign drivers who hold driving permits less than two years, the maximum speed limit is 75km/h.
- It is a rule to give way to traffic already on the roundabout, on left, unless it is other traffic signs or signals.
- Children from 3 to 18 years or under 1.5 meters may only be ridden in an appropriate restraint system. If their weight is over 36 kg a seatbelt can be used only on the rear seat of the vehicle. Children under 3 years of age must be seated in a proper child seats.
- The third-party insurance is compulsory.
- A warning triangle and reflective jacket are compulsory.
- Fire extinguisher and first-aid kit are advised, but not compulsory.
- While driving, mobile phones may only be used with hands free systems.
- Cars coming from the right always have priority unless other priority road signs are posted.
- Tax certificate is obligatory; it must be shown on the windscreen.
- In built up areas, using horns is prohibited except in danger case.
- In case of snow or ice, use of snow chains permitted.
- All tires on a car must be of the same type.
- The spiked tires are permitted from the December, 1 until March, 31.
- Sidelights required when parking in places without any public lighting.
- It is mandatory to flash headlights at night when overtaking outside built-up areas.
- Police phone number is 113.
- While driving, a foreign driver should always carry his driving licence, International driving permit, passport, vehicle registration document, certificate of motor insurance, road tax and technical inspection.
- The dipped headlights during the day are recommended.
- In Luxembourg, there are no tolls roads.
- In Luxembourg, there are four parking zones.
- orange and yellow – parking is permitted for a maximum of 2 hours;
- green – parking is permitted for a maximum of 5 hours;
- purple - parking is permitted for a maximum of 10 hours.
Parking is free in:
- orange zones – from 18:00 (6 p.m.) – 08:00 (8 a.m.) and on Sundays and public holidays;
- other zones – from 18:00 (6 p.m.) – 08:00 (8 a.m.) and on Saturday, Sundays and public holidays;
- yellow and green zones for holders of resident parking permits.
A parking permit allows parking a car in neighborhood for an unlimited period of time. For foreign visitors, temporary permit is valid for three months per year.
Driving Overseas - Short Information