Driving in Macau
To drive legally in Macau, foreign visitors must have a driver license. If a foreign visitor, who has a valid driver license issued by the country of his residence, is going to stay in Macau for a period of one year or less, he/she should go to the police station, where he/she will issue an official paper “the holder is allowed to drive whatever is written on his foreign driving license”. As official languages of Macau are Portuguese and Chinese, foreign drivers should have International driving permits if their original driver licenses are not written on one of those languages. The permit issued by Macau police is valid for 6 months.
If a foreigner is going to stay in Macau longer than one year, he needs to obtain a local driver license. To get the Macau driver license, an applicant must pass the written and driving tests. Note: written tests have to be conducted either in Chinese or Portuguese.
It is may be also possible to exchange a foreign driver license for the Macau driver license. In this case, the written test cleared automatically. If an applicant wants to drive something more than his domestic driver license allows him, he will have a corresponding driving test.
The main road traffic rules:
- Traffic moves on the left side of the road.
- The permitted blood alcohol level is 0.05%.
- The minimum driving age is 18.
- It is mandatory for the light vehicle drivers and the front seat passengers to wear safety belts.
- Children under 12 years of age are prohibited to be ridden in the front seats of the vehicle.
- The number of passengers of a vehicle cannot exceed its seating capacity.
- Motorcycles drivers and riders must wear helmets.
- Parking in intersection and less than 5 meters from the intersection to roadway is not permitted.
- In case of breakage of a vehicle, the warning signals must be on.
- When driving, the use of a mobile phone is prohibited unless the hands-free function is applied.
- At night, it is not permitted to drive without illumination.
- It is not permitted to push by hand vehicles on the sidewalk or pedestrian track.
- Drivers with driving qualifications less than one year are prohibited to carry passengers.
- It is not permitted to transport children under six years on the motorcycles.
- Parking is prohibited at the bridges, flyovers, and tunnels.
- When approaching a hospital, school, and pedestrian crossing, drivers are required to reduce their speed
- Civil liability insurance for motor vehicle and its trailer are required.
- The speed limit in built up areas is from 20km/h (12mph) to 60km/h (37mph); on open roads and highways the speed limit is 80km/h (50mph).
Some additional information:
- In Macau, roads are narrow and winding.
- In a case of the breakdown or accident, the driver should, as far as possible, move his vehicle to the left side of the roadway.
- The two-third of the fine must be paid within 15 days from the date that the offender receives the notification of the charge. After the expiration of payment deadline, full payment must be made.
- To rent a car, drivers must be over 21 years of age.
Macau Road Traffic Signs
Macau Road Vocabulary (Chinese)
Back to Driving Overseas - Short Information