For driving in Macedonia, it is required from every driver to be at least 18 years old and have a full valid driving permit from a country of residence. Visitors from non-European Union countries should have International driver licenses further to their original driving permits.
To drive a rental car, drivers must be at least 25 years of age. Some vehicles are available for people from 21 years.
The main road traffic rules:
- Traffic moves on the right side.
- The speed limit for cars is: in built up areas – 50 km/h; outside the built up areas – 80 km/h; on the motorways – 100 km/h; on the highways – 120 km/h.
- The speed limit for cars with trailers is: in built up areas – 50 km/h; on other roads – 80 km/h.
- Drivers, whose with driving experience is less than 2 years, may drive outside the built up areas with speed no more than 60 km/h, on motorways — 80 km/h, on highways — 90 km/h.
- The most admissible blood alcohol level is 0.05 %. For drivers, whose experience is less than 2 years, blood alcohol level is 0.0 %.
- It is no permitted to ride children under 12 years on the front seat.
- The dipped headlights are obligatory 24 hours per day all the year round.
- Use of seat belts is obligatory for drivers and front and rear passengers.
- It is forbidden to use mobile phones while driving even phones equipped with hand-free device.
- It is required to have in the vehicle an automobile first-aid kit, towing cable, fire extinguisher, warning triangle (in the presence of the trailer, it is necessary to have two warning triangles), reflecting waistcoat (everybody must put it on before an exit on the motorway or highway at night or in the conditions of poor visibility).
- From 15 November to 15 March, winter tires must be put on all wheels and have the minimum 4 mm depth of a protector.
It is not permitted to use snow tires.
- Spiked tyres are prohibited.
- Vehicles on roundabouts have priority.
- It is not permitted to park vehicles on the sidewalk.
- Third party insurance is compulsory.
- The use of radar detectors is not permitted.
Macedonian Driving Vocabulary
Macedonian Traffic Signs
Driving Overseas - Short Information
- When enter into Macedonia, drivers should change some cash at the border to be able to pay the highway toll fees. Payment is made in local currency by cash. It is necessary to keep the fiscal check in a vehicle all the time while driving on the road and to be ready to show it for authorized control. The amount of payment depends on the vehicle category doesn't differ for cars with the local and foreign registration. The I category includes vehicles with the maximum height up to 1.7 m and the maximum length up to 5.5 m – cars and motorcycles. The II category includes vehicles with the maximum height up to 3.3 m and the maximum length up to 9.5 m – cars with trailers, auto-houses, and trucks.
- It is recommended to have a spare set of lamps in the car.
- Drivers must carry at all times while driving their driver licenses, International driving permits (if required), and car registration and insurance documents.
- On working days, it is required to ray fee for parking in "Red Zone" from 07.00 (7 a.m.) to 22.00 (10 p.m.). At the "Red Zone", parking is permitted only within two hours. After the expiration of time the vehicles will be repatriated. It is permitted to park in the "Red Zone" to vehicles with weight of up to 2.5 t and buses with maximum 12 passengers.
- Fines must be paid at a Post Office or bank. If payment is made within 8 days of the fine being issued, there is a 50% discount.
- Green Card is recognized.
- The police phone number is 112 or 192.