Martinique is a French Caribbean island so driving laws are the same as in France. Foreign driver licenses are valid in Martinique. If a driver license is not in French, a driver should have an International driving permit.
The main Martinique road traffic rules:
- Driving is on the right hand side of the road.
- The minimum age for driving is 18 years.
- Overtaking is on the left hand side of the road.
- Seat belts when driving are mandatory.
- The permitted blood alcohol level is 0.05%.
- When driving, the use of a mobile phone without a hands-free system is prohibited.
- Speed limits are: in towns – 50 km/h, on major roads – 90 km/h, on motorways – 110 km/h.
- Children under 12 years are required to travel in the back seat.
- When traveling by car, children under 6 years must be seated in the proper child safety apparatus.
Driving Overseas - Short Information
- There are no toll roads in Martinique.
- Distances are measured in kilometers and speeds – in kilometers per hours.
- To rent a car in Martinique, a driver must be at least 21 years of age and have held a driver license for one year. For drivers under 25 years, an additional young driver surcharge may be claimed.
- Drivers must carry at all times while driving their valid driver licenses, car registration and insurance documents.
- Foreign drivers should avoid driving on the weekend nights (Friday and Sunday).
- Speed cameras are used and manual checks are common.