Driving in Paraguay is dangerous. Some roads in Asuncion and other large cities are covered with asphalt, but most streets are covered with rough cobblestones.
Drivers in Paraguay often ignore traffic rules. In Paraguay, most drivers don’t have vehicle insurance.
Driving at night is not recommended because there are animals, people, and vehicles without proper lights on the roads. In the rainy season, it may be impossible to drive on many roads outside the cities.
Driving Overseas - Short Information
- Driving is on the right side.
- Everybody must fasten seatbelts while driving.
- The speed limits vary depending on traffic and streets conditions. The maximum speed limit in urban arias is 50 km/h (31 mph).
- Driving under alcohol influence is illegal. The allowed content of alcohol in blood is 0.08 %.
- Drivers can use mobile phones only with hand-free system.
- Warning signs are lacking in many areas.
- Petrol stations outside the largest cities are poor, that is why it is recommended to fill a tank regularly.
- Renting a car gives the opportunity to travel in this diverse country.
- A foreign driver must have an International Driving Permit for driving in Paraguay.
- The police phone number is 130, emergency services – 141.