In Tanzania, foreign visitors are permitted to drive with their valid International driving permits for six months. Residents of the foreign countries may also use in Tanzania their domestic valid driver licenses for six months after their validation by local traffic authorities. Everybody who is going to stay in Tanzania for more than six months is required to obtain a Tanzanian driver license.
Foreign registered vehicles are admitted into Tanzania for 14 days. The term may be lasted up to three months.
The main Tanzanian road traffic rules:
- Driving is on the left hand side.
- The minimum driving age is 18 years.
- Seat belts are mandatory for the driver and passengers in the front seat.
- Motorcycle helmets are required for all riders.
- The third-party liability insurance is required.
- The permitted blood alcohol level is 0.08 %.
- The speed limit in urban areas is 50 km/h (31 mph), outside urban areas – 80km/h (50 mph).
- The police phone numbers are 112 and 999.
Tanzania Republic Marking
Driving Overseas - Short Information
- Every driver while operate of a motor vehicle must carry the original car registration certificate or its copy authorized by the registrar.
- During the rainy season which is from the late of March to the middle of June, many roads in Tanzania are passable only with four-wheel-drive vehicles.
- It s recommended to avoid driving at night as pedestrians, cyclists, and animals are common on the roads after dark; moreover, slow-moving vehicles often are traveling without lights.
- Every driver must have his driver license, proof of insurance, car registration certificate; he should also get to know the local parking rules.