A foreign visitor who is going to drive in Turkmenistan must have an International driving permit in addition to his original driver license. At the border, a visitor who enters to Turkmenistan by a foreign registered vehicle needs to pay fuel compensation, road tax, obligated insurance, immigration card, and entry tax.
The main road traffic rules:
- Traffic flaws on the ride side of the road, overtaking on the left side.
- The minimum driving age is 17 years.
- Seat belts must be worn at all times while driving.
- It is not permitted to use a cell phone without hand-free system while driving.
- It is illegal to drive while intoxicated; a driver will be fine and possible jail, and his driver license will be revoked.
- It is not permitted to smoke and eat while driving.
- For a vehicle registered abroad, it is required to have a car plate and a distinctive sign of the county where the vehicle is registered.
- The third-party liability insurance is mandatory.
- The permitted blood alcohol level is 0.05%.
- The maximum speed limit in urban areas is 60 km/h, outside the urban areas – 90 km/h, on highways – 110 km/h.
Some additional information:
Driving Overseas - Short Information
- Driving at night outside of the cities is dangerous since the poor road condition.
- It is requires that traffic fines be paid within 12 hours. In case of a fine is not paid within12 hours, the fine amount may double every 12 hours up to 72 hours. After that period of time, the vehicle may be confiscated.
- To drive into the desert, a 4WD vehicle is necessary.
- In Turkmenistan, there are many checkpoints with different degrees of severity.
- The green International Insurance Card is not valid in Turkmenistan.