A not resident of Zambia may use his International driving permit issued elsewhere than in Zambia if the International driving permit is issued under the 1949 or 1926 Conventions of the United Nations.
Any car which is not a public service vehicle may be brought into Zambia under an international certificate issued elsewhere than in Zambia. A motor vehicle brought into Zambia by a resident of Zambia may be use for a period not in excess of fourteen days without the Zambian registration. If a vehicle brought into Zambia by a not resident of Zambia, it may be used for driving in Zambia without to be registered in Zambia for a period not in excess of 365 days or until the expiry of its international certificate or registration certificate, or when its owner becomes resident in Zambia, whichever is the shortest. In addition to the identification marks required in the country in which the international certificate was issued, a distinctive plate must display the appropriate letter which conforms with the provisions of Annex 4 to the 1949 Convention or Annex C to the 1926 Convention. If a motor vehicle drawing a trailer, the distinctive plate must also be displayed at the back of the trailer.
Drivers must purchase third-party insurance at the border.
The main Zambian road traffic rules:
- Vehicles are driven on the left side of the road.
- The minimum driving age is 18 years.
- Drivers may not use on roads motor vehicles which are drawing more than two trailers.
- The permitted blood alcohol level is 0.08%.
- The speed limit on bridges and within 100 meters of them is 15 km/h.
- The speed limit while embarking or disembarking from a pontoon is 5 km/h, on the roadway approaches – 10 km/h.
- The speed limit is 50 km/h (30 mph) in cities and 100 km/h (60 mph) outside of cities.
- Any person may not travel in a vehicle without fastening the seat belt.
- Helmets are mandatory for motorcyclists.
- A child under three years old must sit on a child seat while travelling in the vehicle.
- A child may not occupy the front passenger seat.
- It is illegal to turn left on a red light.
- Using cell phones while operating a vehicle is illegal; the exception is mobile phones with a hands-free system.
- The third-party insurance is mandatory.
- The police phone number is 993.
Driving Overseas - Short Information
- It is not permitted to import into Zambia a motor vehicle that is not fitted with a seat belt.
- To rent a car in Zambia, a driver must be at least 21 years old and have held a driver license for a year or longer.
- Any police officer in uniform or who has his police identity card may inspect any vehicle.
- In Zambia, most roads do not have shoulders or sidewalks.
- The rainy season is from the end of October to middle of March. For driving in that time, four-wheel drive vehicles should be used.
- If a driver is stopped by police and asked to pay a fine, he should be provided an official receipt or directed to the nearest police station to make payment.
- Drivers are mandatory to carry at all times while driving their valid driver licenses (International driving permits), car registration and insurance documents.
- There are no toll roads in Zambia.