Today, road traffic rules in many countries are the same since road regulations in them are based on the International Convention on road traffic and road signs and signals of 1968. In countries such as the Great Britain, USA, Japan, Canada, and some other, which are not signed the Vienna Convention on road traffic of 1968, there are a number of differences from the European road traffic rules.
Necessity for the legislative regulation of the traffic movement arose in the time of the cartage development. In the XVIII century, emergence of the self-moving carriages on the roads demanded development rules of their movement. The first traffic rules for cars were entered in France on 14 August 1893.
To regulate the road traffic, people began to use the traffic signs and the traffic lights. The first four road signs which indicated existence of danger with signs at intersection, railway crossing, on the twisting and uneven roads were approved in 1909 by the Parish Convention on road traffic. The first installation of the semaphore type with rising wings for regulation of the road traffic was built in 1868 by the engineer, Dzh. Knight, at the building of the English Parliament in London. Later, it was modernized and added with lamps with red and green optical filters. The first electrical road traffic lights appeared in 1914 in the USA. Originally, they had only two signals — red and green; instead of yellow, there was the precautionary whistle of the policeman. The road traffic lights began to appear on the European roads in 1918.
In 1926, the International system of road signs was added with two signs: «An unprotected railway crossing» and «The stop is obligatory». In the same year in the Soviet Union, technical specifications on the road traffic signs were developed and installed.
In 1931 at the Geneva European Conference on road traffic, the Convention concerning the unification of road signals was adopted. The number of road signs increased to 26, and they were classified on three groups: warning, mandatory, and information.
Before the World War II, two main systems of road signs operated worldwide. The European system was based on using symbols conformed to the Convention of 1931. In the Anglo-American system, inscriptions were used instead of symbols. After World War II, the attempt to create the uniform road signs system was undertaken. In 1949 at the Geneva International Conference on road traffic, the Convention on traffic and the Protocol on road signs and signals were signed. The Soviet Union ratified them in 1959. That system of the road traffic signs worked in the Soviet Union up to 1973.
The next conventions such as the Convention on road traffic and the Convention on road signs and signals were signed in Vienna in 1968. They were added by European agreements of 1971. The Soviet Union ratified and used them in the traffic regulation.
In the Soviet Union, there were not uniform road traffic rules until 1940. In 1949, the first standards of the traffic regulation were approved. The first uniform Traffic regulation for all country was entered in 1961; they were based on the Convention of 1949. In 1965, some changes were added in road rules.
New road traffic rules, which were based on the Vienna Convention of 1968 and the European agreements of 1971, were approved in the Soviet Union in 1973. The new edition of road traffic rules was entered in June 1, 1980, and the next Additions were made in 1987.
The first road rules of Uzbekistan were entered in 1994. Traffic regulations actual today are entered in 2001.
Driving in Uzbekistan