To drive in Barbados, foreign visitors must obtain a Barbados driving permit. For obtaining the Barbados driving permit, any foreign driver must have a valid driver license from his/her country of residence and International driving permit.
The main road traffic rules:
- Traffic moves on the left-hand side of the road.
- Overtake is on the right side.
- The minimum driving age is 18 years.
- It is not permitted to use of a mobile phone while driving; the exception is a cell phone with a hands-free system.
- It is not permitted to drink and drive
- It is permitted to park vehicles only where there is a parking sign.
- Drivers of motorcycles and mopeds must wear helmets.
- All car occupants must wear seat belts.
- While driving, it is required to keep to the left with the exception of overtaking or turning to right.
- Drivers must give way pedestrians ones they have stopped to the pedestrian crossing.
- When turning at the road intersection, drivers must give way pedestrians who are crossing the road.
- It is not permitted to overtake at pedestrian crossing.
- It is mandatory to stop at a Stop-Children sign.
- It is not permitted to frighten animals by horns.
- It is not permitted to cross double white line in the middle of the road except to get in or out.
- Areas with white diagonal stripes separate oncoming traffic. It is not permitted to drive on those areas.
- It is not permitted to overtake at the pedestrian crossing, corners, and hills.
- At roundabout, it is required to give way traffic coming from the right.
- It is required to use headlamps on the road without street lighting.
- It is not permitted to sound a horn when a car is stopped on the road.
- It is not permitted to park at pedestrian crossing, hills, corners, bus stops, narrow roads, emergence vehicle stops, and near road works.
Some additional information and advices:
Driving Overseas - Short Information
- To rent a vehicle, drivers must be 21 years of age and have held driver licenses for at least one year. Persons over 65 years of age may be required to have a medical certificate that shows their ability to drive.
- Any foreign driver are mandatory to carry a valid driver license or International driving permit a Barbados driving permit, car registration documents and insurance documents while driving.
- There are no toll roads in Barbados.
- Drivers should concentrate all the time when driving.
- Before traveling by car, drivers should be sure that their vehicles are in a good condition.
- Drivers must know traffic signs and always act of them.
- A white line on the road warns or gives orders.
- A white broken line (with long marking and short gaps) in the middle of the road is a hazard warning line. It is permitted to cross it if the road is clear.