If you are going to travel abroad and plan to drive there, you should be well-prepared as different countries have varies laws and traffic rules. Before you leave your home country, learn about requirements for a driver license, auto insurance, road rules and permits. You must be sure that your Driving Permit will be valid in country/countries which you are going to visit. The most countries require availability of the International Drivinng Permits  for foreign drivers. You should also know a term of the International Drivinng Permit’s validity since different countries have different terms – from one month to one year. If you stay in the country longer that theInternational Drivinng Permit’s validity period, you will be obliged to obtain the Driving Permit issued by the visited country.

Before you leave your country, ask your insurance company if you are covered for driving abroad. In most countries, it is compulsory to have car insurance; you should know what type of insurance or level of coverage is required by country’s traffic rules. 

If you are going to travel by your own car, learn vehicle requirements and equipment you will need. Now, in most countries it is required to have in the car a first aid kit, fire extinguisher, warning triangle, and reflective vest. In some countries, it is obligatory to have spare set of bulbs, additional pair of glasses (if you have contact lenses), winter tires or snow chains (in the winter season), sticker that indicates a country of car registration, and so on. At times, road traffic rules require carrying not usual equipment, so for driving in France, for example, a driver must have in his car at least two breathalyzers (alcohol-level test); for parking in Denmark in free parking areas, it is necessary to have a parking disc, and other.

At home, started to learn foreign country’s driving rules including traffic signs. As a rule, road traffic laws are the same in countries of the region (European countries, Asian countries, North American countries, and so on), but vary from region to region (for example, European and American road traffic rules have many difference). Most countries use fraises on the traffic signs; if you don’t know official language of the visited country, you will have troubles. Be aware that certain countries require special road permits, instead of tolls, to use their highways; other require honking a horn before going around a sharp corner or flash lights before passing, etc.

This page helps you get to know the main road traffic rules and requirements for driving in a number of countries of the world. Laws can be changed, so for more information, you should check with the embassy/consulate or visit the official Police Department website of countries you plan to visit. When you are looking for driving information, don’t forget to overlook the travel guidebooks. Some car hiring companies have basic overseas driving information on their websites. Another way to get information about a country or city which you are going to visit is to ask in travel forums.

Remember, at all times while driving abroad, you should carry all your documents – International Driving Permit, original Driver License, car registration documents, and insurance certificate.

 About Unofficial International Drivers License - International Translation of the Original Driving Permit