Foreign drivers are supposed to drive in the Republic of Colombia with their driver license issued by their domestic countries and International driving permit for one month. After that period, visitors must obtain local driver license. To get Colombian driver licenses, drivers need to apply through a driving school.
The main road traffic rules:
- Driving is in the right side of the road.
- The minimum driving age is 18 years.
- The legal blood-alcohol limit is 0.04%.
- The maximum speed limits allowed on urban public roads is 60 km/h (37 mph). The maximum speed allowed in rural areas is 80 km/h (50 mph). On highways and connecting routes, the maximum speed limit is 100 km/h.
- It is requires that every vehicle be covered by a minimum limited third-party-liability policy and a medical policy written by a Colombian insurance company.
Driving Overseas - Short Information
- It is recommended to drive on highways with headlights on.
- Speed bumps are common.
- All distances are given in kilometers and speed limits in kilometers per hours.
- In case of accident, drivers should call for the police and do not move the vehicles until the police arrive and write the report.
- Gasoline is sold by gallons.
- Colombian drivers are aggressive and often do not obey local traffic regulations.