International driving permit and South African driver licenses are recognized in Mozambique, but if a foreign visitor is going to drive in Mozambique for more than 90 days, he is required to obtain a Mozambican driver license.
Visitors traveling to Mozambique by vehicle need to have the vehicle registration papers and compulsory third party insurance. At the border, foreign drivers receive the temporary vehicle import papers.

The main Mozambican road traffic rules:

  • Diving is on the left side of the road.
  • Each vehicle must have two warning triangles and a reflective vest.
  • The third party insurance is compulsory.
  • The speed limit in built up areas is 60 km/h (37 mph) for vehicles and 50 km/h (31 mph) for vehicles with trailers. The speed limit outside the built up areas is 80 km/h (50 mph), on national roads – 120 km/h (74 mph).
  • All foreign registered vehicles must have distinguishing signs.
  • Drivers and all passengers must wear seatbelts all times while driving.
  • Vehicles and trailers weighing over 10,000 kg or measuring over 6 m in length must have yellow reflective markings on their sides and back.
  • The permitted blood alcohol level is 0.06%.
  • If a vehicle is towing another vehicle or trailer, blue and yellow triangles must be attached to the front of the vehicle and at the back of the towed vehicle or trailer.

Some additional information:

  • Driving in Mozambique is not always easy; pedestrians often walk in the road and may not be visible, especially at night. It is recommended do not drive at night.
  • A foreign driver involved in an accident should immediately report the accident to the nearest police station and to contact his Embassy.
  • Checkpoints are common throughout Mozambique, and drivers should obey police signals to stop at checkpoints.
  • Drivers, who have an accident and don’t have the insurance, will be placed in jail and fined excessively.
  • When a driver is fined, the traffic police officer must specify the traffic violation and indicate the value of the fine.
  • Driving on the Beach is not permitted.
  • While driving, foreign drivers must have passport, valid driver license and International driving permit, car registration documents, valid temporary vehicle import papers, and third party liability insurance certificate.
  • If a driver is not an owner of the car, he must have a letter of permission.
  • The police phone number is 119.

 Driving Overseas - Short Information