A short-term visitor in possession of a valid driver license and presence of International driving permit may drive in Oman, but any Oman resident must have an Omani driver license. To obtain an Omani driver license, an applicant must have a driver license that has been valid for at least one year or must take a local driving test. A foreign visitor can use his International driving license for 3 months. Foreign tourists may not use their vehicle for other purposes than tourism or visiting.
Foreigners can buy the insurance at the border post.
The main Omani road traffic rules:
- Vehicles are driven on the right side of the road.
- The minimum driving age for light vehicles is 18 years, for heavy duty vehicles and trucks – 21 years.
- Turning right on a red traffic signal is prohibited.
- The permitted blood alcohol level is 0.0%.
- The third party insurance is mandatory; it should be purchased in Oman.
- The speed limit is 40km/h (25 mph) in the cities and 120 km/h on highways.
- At the roundabouts and junctions where the traffic is not organized, vehicles which actually entered the roundabout or junction, or which are coming from a main road have the priority.
- It is forbidden to leave a vehicle on the road or besides it without taking the necessary precaution.
- It is not permitted to throw anything from the vehicle on the road, which may hinder the traffic on the road or cause hazards to the road users.
- The road shall be cleared for the pass of the emergency vehicles during their movement for emergency service.
- It is illegal to use sound or light warning devices similar to the emergency vehicles devices.
- On a narrow road, driver should keep to the right side on meeting a vehicle coming from the opposite direction.
- Slow moving vehicles must keep to the right of the road.
- It is prohibited to overtake from the right side unless the driver of the front vehicles gives a signal indicating his intention to change his lane to the left and the road permits the same.
- The vehicle who comes from a side street must allow the coming vehicles on the main road to pass.
- At the junction of equally important roads, coming vehicles from the right have the priority.
- Parking is prohibited: at pedestrians crossing; on bridges and in tunnels; at the curves; in front of the entrances of the Royal palaces; entry and exit points of the vehicles parking areas, petrol stations, hospitals, schools, buses stations, fire fighting centers, Police and Military areas; within 10 meters from the junctions and roundabout entrances.
- It is prohibited to drive a vehicle during the night without lights.
- It is prohibited to use red lights or red reflecting devices or items in the forefront of the vehicle. It is also prohibited to use white lights or and not red items at the rear part of the vehicle.
- It is not permitted for any vehicle to park at the left side of any main road during the darkness hours with its front lights facing the coming traffic.
- Drivers must give the priority to the pedestrians stepping on the pedestrian crossing.
- Drivers may not cross the unbroken white line.
Omani Traffic Signs
Driving Overseas - Short Information
- Traffic laws in Oman are strictly enforced.
- Foreign drivers involved in accidents are advised not to move their vehicles from the accident location until the Royal Oman Police gives them permission; moving a vehicle may be interpreted as an admission of guilt.
- The emergence number is 999.
- On a two-lane carriageway, the right lane is for turning right, and the left lane for continuing straight ahead, turning left, or turning back. On a three-lane carriageway, the right lane is for turning right, the middle lane is for going straight ahead, and the left lane is for turning left or turning back.
- A car flashing generally means that a driver asks for a chance to pass.
- Drivers must always carry complete vehicle documentation and their driver licenses.
- The minimum age to rent a car is between 21 and 25; an additional requirement is driver must be owner of a driving license at least one year. At some rental car agencies, drivers under a fixed age limit must pay an additional fee.
- The policemen may bring any vehicle to the nearest police station, and if the technical inspection revealed the lack of compliance with any one of the conditions the vehicle's license, the number plate will be withdrawn.
- Any driver must carry his driver license during the driving and present it to the police officer whenever requested.
- It is prohibited to anyone to learn the driving of the motor vehicles without obtaining a learning permit.
- It is prohibited to license more than three private vehicles to the foreigners.