If a foreign visitor is going to drive in Saint Lucia, he needs to obtain a local temporary driver license. A person who is a visitor to Saint Lucia and who have a valid driver license issued by the country of his residence may obtain a visitor driving permit which is valid for driving in Saint Lucia not longer than three months. A visitor driving permit allows his holder to operate only the category of vehicle that the original driver license permits to drive.
The main road traffic rules:
- Traffic moves on the left side of the road.
- The minimum driving age is 18.
- The permitted blood alcohol level is 0.08%.
- Wearing seat belts is mandatory while driving for drivers and passengers from front seats.
- The maximum speed limit in urban areas is 32mph (51 km/h).
- All motorcycle riders must wear protective helmets.
- The police phone number is 911.
Driving Overseas - Short Information
- The registered owner and driver are responsible for any person in his motor vehicle litters the road or surrounding land.
- In the case of an accident, a driver must immediately stop, give his name and address, the name and address of the car’s owner, the registration number of his vehicle, the name of his insurance company and names of all persons in the vehicle at the time of the accident, and report the accident at a police station within 24 hours.
- Every driver who is served a ticket may pay the total amount or request a trial within 14 days. If payment is made more than thirty days after service of the ticket, a driver will pay additional fees. A driver will be disqualified from driving a vehicle if he fails to pay a fine for thirty days since the termination of all proceedings including appeal. The disqualification continues until the fine is paid.
- The minimum age to rent a car is 25 years for all drivers, and the maximum age is 60 years.