Foreign visitors who wish to drive on Solomon Island need to obtain a local driver license. If a foreigner already holds a valid driver license from his domestic country, a Solomon Islands driver license will be issued to him without any tests. To obtain a Solomon Islands driver license, a person need complete the License Application form and bring two passport size photos and his original driver license and/or International driving permit. An applicant will get a driver license for the same vehicle category as is his domestic driver license.
The main road traffic rules:
Driving Overseas - Short Information
- Traffic moves on the left side of the road.
- The permitted blood alcohol level is 0.08%.
- The speed limit inside cities is 40 km/h (25 mph) and 60 km/h (37 mph) outside cities.
- Motorcyclists must wear helmets while riding.
- The police phone number is 999.
- To rent a car in Solomon Island, every driver must hold his driver license for at least 2 years and be 21 years of age or over. Rental car companies also required that driver licenses are in English otherwise, a driver need to have a valid International driving permit.