Syrian traffic rules demand from foreign drivers to have their full domestic driving permits and an International driver licenses to additional to original driving permit. The International driving permit may be only used if a driver has a Visit/Business Visa which usually is valid for one month.  To rent a car in Syria drivers must be at least 21 years of age and hold their permits for one or more years. Some rental car companies demand of 25 years old drivers.
Roads in Syria are generally in good condition, but away from urban areas, they are poorly lit and some motorists drive without headlights at night. There are no toll roads in Syria. In cities, street parking may sometimes be difficult.

The main road rules:

  • Drivers must drive on the right side of the road.
  • While driving a rental car, seat-belts are mandatory.
  • To ride children in the front seat or the driver’s lap is forbidden.
  • To toss rubbish from cars while driving is prohibited.
  • While driving through urban residential district, playing loud music is forbidden.
  • Before turning, it is obligatory to use directional signals.
  • It is forbidden to transport thins exceeding the body of the vehicle.
  • A license plate must be with legible numbers.
  • It is illegal to pass other vehicles on corners, tunnel, bridges, crossroads, and uphill slopes.
  • Any driver must have in his car a first aid medical kit and fire extinguisher.
  • The minimum age for driving is 18 years.
  • Driving and drinking is prohibited; there is zero tolerance for drink and drive.

At all the times while driving, any foreign driver must carry:

  • valid domestic driving permit,
  • International driver license,
  • registration or hiring car documents,
  • insurance car documents.

Some advices:

  • Foreign drivers should keep sensible distance from other cars and be watchful all the time.
  • A driver and passengers from front seats must wear seat-belts.
  • Cell phones may be used only with hand-free system.
  • Speed limits are: on highways – 100 km/h; in towns – 40 km/h.
  • In the case of an accident in a rental car, drivers must obtain a police report even if the damage is small.
  • Police phone number is 112.

Arabic Road Vocabolary

 Driving Overseas - Short Information