To drive in Vanuatu, foreign drivers must have a full driver licences which are valid in countries of their residence and International driving permits.
The main road traffic rules:
- Driving is on the right side of the road.
- Overtaking is on the left side of the road.
- The maximum speed is 50 km/h (31 mph) in towns and 80 km/h (50 mph) outside towns.
- At intersections, drivers must give way to traffic coming from the right.
- Motorcycle riders must wears helmets.
- At roundabout, traffic from the left has the right of way.
- It is not permitted to cross a continuous white line.
- Driving a vehicle fitted with wheel chains on a public road is permitted only in the case of necessity.
- The police phone number is 112.
Driving Overseas - Short Information
- The capital of Port Vila and the town of Luganville only have the paved roads.
- Wearing seat belts is not mandatory, but strictly advice.
- The minimum age to rent a car in Vanuatu is 23 years; some rental car companies required drivers be at least 25 years of age. Another requirement is any driver must have his valid driver license at least for one year.
- In Vanuatu, there are no toll roads.
- While driving, drivers must carry their valid driver licences, car registration documents and insurance certificates.
- In a case of the road accident, a driver must stop immediately and report to police office within 24 hours.