There are two main requirements for foreign drivers who want to drive in Jordan. They must be at least 18 years of age and hold valid driver licenses and International driving permits.
The main road traffic rules:
- Driving is on the right hand side of the road.
- The minimum age for driving is 18 years.
- There is zero tolerance policy on drink driving.
- Seat belts are mandatory for drivers and all passengers in the front seat of the vehicle.
- It is prohibited to use a mobile phone when driving.
- A fire extinguisher and warning triangle must be present in any vehicle.
- When driving, children should sit in the back seats. Children under 4 must be ridden in special child seats.
- Pedestrians always have a right of way.
- Driving and talking on a mobile phone is not permitted.
- The local third-party insurance is obligatory.
- The speed limit on highway is 80-100 km/h, on open roads 70 km/h, and in towns and cities 50 km/h.
- Drivers must carry at all times while driving their driver licenses and International driving permits, a passport, and the car registration and insurance documents.
Jordan Road Traffic Signs
Driving Overseas - Short Information
- To rent a car, foreign visitor must be 25 years of age and have held a full driver license for at list one year. The maximum age for renting a car is 70 years.
- There are no tolls in Jordan.
- Road signs are in Arabic and English.
- Police use speed-monitoring trailers to catch over speeding drivers.
- In the rainy season from December to March, roads may be a hazardous.
- It is recommended to avoid driving at night in rural areas as roads are narrow, steep, and crowded. They are more crowded around the Muslim holidays.
- In Amman, driving is more hazardous in summer months from June to September when Jordan has visitors from other countries.
- On the rural roads, drivers must stop for camels and other wild animals.
- In Jordan, traffic accidents are very frequent.
- Landmines are often located within two miles of military installations and borders, including the popular Dead Sea area.
- The police phone number is 911.