The International Driving Permit is recognized in Sri Lanka so it is advisable to obtain an International Driving Permit before travelling. A foreign driver also needs to have a Sri Lankan recognition permit to drive in Sri Lanka. If somebody needs the Sri Lanka permit, he/she may ask the rental company to arrange it when makes the reservation.
The main road traffic rules:
- Drivers drive on the left-hand side of the road.
- Overtaking must be made from the right lane.
- The minimum driving age is 18 years.
- Seat belts are required for drivers and all passengers from front and rear seats.
- The permitted blood-alcohol level is 0.08%
- The speed limit in built up areas is 56 km/h (35 mph), on the open roads 75 km/h 45(mph).
- Headlights must be dimmed or turned off in well lit areas.
- Park is permitted in parking areas only.
- The police phone number is 118 or 119.
Sri Lanka Driving Vocabulary
Driving Overseas - Short Information
- Roads are generally in poor condition.
- Most road signs have an English translation.
- Drivers must drive very attentively since pedestrians and animals often appear in the road.
- In Sri Lanka, road accidents are frequent.
- Vehicles do not stop at pedestrian crossings.
- Driving at night outside Colombo is hazardous as lighting is not existent in rural areas.
- There are a number of military checkpoints across Sri Lanka.
- In Colombo city, traffic is fixed by cameras.