Romanian laws permit foreign visitors to drive private motor vehicles with the International Driving Permit accompanied by a valid driver license from their home country. It is permitted to drive with the International Driving Permit for 90 day after arriving to Romania.

The main traffic rules:

  • Traffic glows on the right side of the road; overtaking on the left side.
  • The minimum age for driving is 18 years.
  •  A driver and all passengers must wears a seatbelt at all times white driving.
  • It is required to have in the car a warning triangle inside, first aid kit and tire extinguisher.
  • For driving in bad winter weather, it is required winter tires or snow chains.
  • The speed limit is 50 km/h in built-up areas, 90km/h – on open roads, 100km/h on dual carriageways, 130km/h – on motorways.
  • The legal drink driving limit is zero; a driver must be no alcohol in his blood when driving
  • In built-up areas, it is not permitted to use a horn between 22:00 (10pm) ND 6:00 (6am).
  • Children under 12 years of age cannot be ridden in the front seat.
  • It is a rule to give way to traffic coming onto a roundabout.
  • It is obligatory to park on the right hand side of the road, in the same direction as the traffic.
  • Pedestrians have a right of at pedestrian crossings and vehicles must give them way.
  • It is mandatory to have car insurance.

Additional requirements:

  • Foreign drivers need to buy a road tax sticker (Rovineta) which can be got from petrol stations and post offices.
  • Drivers must pay motorways tolls. It is recommended to have plenty of change (Euro).
  • Some petrol stations don’t take credit cards; it is necessary to pay by cash.
  • In case of an accident, driver must call and wait for the police (Politia) and Ambulance (Salvarea. If a foreign driver has a small accident, he needs to go to a Police office to make a declaration as the circumstances of the incident.
  • Police has a right stop any car to check a diving license or International driving permit and the car documents such as ownership and insurance.

Romanian Traffic Signs

 Driving Overseas - Short Information