If you want to see Swedish countryside, the best way to do that is driving. However, on countryside roads, drivers must be very careful since these roads don’t have fences against wild animals (deer and moose).

  • Drivers must drive on the right side of the road and overtake on the left side.
  • The speed limit in cities and towns is 50 km/h (31 mph), on open country roads – 90 km/h (55 mph), on highways – 110 km/h (68 mph). The standard speed limit for outside built-up areas is 70 km/h unless otherwise indicated.
  • Seat belts are mandatory for a driver and all passengers.
  • Children under 7 years old should be restrained in special child safety seats. It is illegal to use a back facing child safety seat in front of cars that have passenger side airbags.
  • Headlights must be on at all times while driving.
  • A warning triangle is obligatory.
  • Snow tires are required from 1 December to 31 March.
  • Legal blood-alcohol level is 0.02 %. Police has a right to ask any driver a breathalyzer test for no apparent reason.
  • The minimum driving age is 18 years.
  • The minimum age for hiring a car is 20 years.
  • For driving legally in Sweden, any foreign driver needs to have a valid driving permit (and International driving permit if it is required), passport, car insurance certificate and registration.
  • Trams have priority. When a tram stops, drivers must yield to passengers crossing to the sidewalk.
  • Pedestrians have priority on a pedestrian crossing. Pedestrians are required to cross streets at a crossing only.
  • Most cities streets have both metered on-street parking and timed ticket machines from 8am to 6pm. Street parking usually takes place on the right side of the road.
  • Fire and third party liability insurance is mandatory.
  • While driving, a cell phone may be used only with a hand-free system.
  • There are no tolls in Sweden except the Öresund Bridge.
  • Many urban roads have lanes reserved for public transportation only.
  • The Police number is 112.

A driver can use his valid driving permit from a non-European Economic Area state if the driver hasn’t been a resident of Sweden for more than one year and doesn’t hold the Swedish driving permit that has been suspended or revoked.

If a driver permit isn’t designed according to the Vienna United Nations Conventions on Road Traffic of 1968, and the driver permit isn’t written in English, German, or French, it is only valid in combination with the International driving permit or certified translation into English, German, French, Swedish, Danish, or Norwegian. The International driving permit and foreign driver license are legal for driving for one year, after that term a Swedish driving permit must be obtained.

If the driving permit doesn’t have a driver’s photograph, it is only valid together with an identification document with a photograph.

Sweden Road Markings

Sweden Traffic Signs

 Driving Overseas - Short Information